<$BlogRSDURL$>

What Do I Think?
Hello there. What do I think? Read on, reader.

Recent Posts

Best Posts

Links

Powered by Blogger
Visits:
Featured post: The Truth About The Half-Blood Prince

Thursday, September 15, 2005
 
ART - What Is And What Isn't
Your Art Appreciation classes taught you how to appreciate art. They never told you what is and what isn't art. Way back when Mozart and Shakespeare were around, art meant something. Today, anything bizarre or arbitrary, no matter the quality, is called art or even genius. Some might ask me who I am to say what is and what isn't art. I have a simple definition that is better than what you'll find in any dictionary. Art is any action or creation that both achieves the intended purpose and requires uncommon skill. (by skill, I don't mean that a writer has to be a good wordsmith; the skill can be in the idea behind his work)
How do I justify my claim? Visual art reproduces an image on paper or canvas, appeals to the eye, promotes, and so on. Music entertains, soothes, or makes a statement. Fiction, movies, and every other art form has a purpose.
Now when you see a splatter of paint on a canvas, if there is no purpose, then you'll know that it is not art (unless the artist's purpose was to fake it for money or fame; in that case, all power to them). Congratulations. You've just completed your first course in Art Unappreciation.


Comments: Post a Comment
About This Blog
I Am Shmack
Call me Shmackshmael. Shmack for short. This is my blog. As you can probably guess, I am anonymous. No one knows my identity and no one ever will, though you may be familiar with my other blog, Shmack Reviews. If not, that is where I post my book reviews.
All I give are my thoughts and some small details about myself. If you're new here, please read "Welcome!" for more information on this blog.
Feel free to comment to your heart's delight. Your comments will keep this blog alive and inspire new ideas. Also, I will not give my e-mail address, so comment instead. I don't care if your comments have nothing to do with the corresponding post. If you become a daily reader, please comment and tell me just that. One-liners are fine. Thanks!

-Shmack

Copyright 2004 Shmack. All Rights Reserved.