<$BlogRSDURL$>

What Do I Think?
Hello there. What do I think? Read on, reader.

Recent Posts

Best Posts

Links

Powered by Blogger
Visits:
Featured post: The Truth About The Half-Blood Prince

Saturday, September 03, 2005
 
A Review! Christopher Paolini - Eragon
I've reviewed things before, just not on my blog, but between you and me, I am a great reviewer and I don't want to deprive you of my talents. And this post is a spoiler, so if you haven't read both Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini, then don't read this post.

Christopher Paolini graduated highschool at age fifteen, the age most of us begin highschool. Thus, his readers have to keep a dictionary handy if they're to follow along with his books. For instance, he says diaphonic membrane for a cloth in one scene. This only goes to show that this is an amatuer's first shot at a writing career. And he got it what he wanted. Now, the word amateur here only means inexperienced. That is exactly how we'd describe Paolini. Or better yet, that is how we excuse Eragon and Eldest, his only two books written as of yet. When I say excuse, I mean forget the flaws of an amateur and enjoy the talent of a young writer with potential. Now, I say this with the purest of intentions, though I am not reviewing his potential. I'm reviewing his blatant amatuerity. First, his amateur storytelling, and second, his amateur story, which he borrows extensively from two of fantasy's greatest epics.
As for his storytelling, he attempts to give the story a Tolkeinesque ambience, but doesn't realize that he instead mixes All-American dialogue into it except for a few instances here and there that don't fit the set precedent at all. He mixes sarcasm (American) with nobility and honor (Tolkein). Also, he attempts to create a teenage hero, something Rowling did with flying colors. However, unlike Rowling, this teenage hero might as well be thirty by the way people treat him. One of the central conflicts in the Harry Potter series is the fact that the fate of the world rests on a teenager who acts like one and is treated like one as well. Also, in Harry Potter, Rowling doesn't make Harry a superhero with powers beyond anyone else's. What makes Harry great isn't his awesome magical powers. In fact, she has Hermione there to put him to shame. Paolini, on the other hand, makes Eragon nearly invincible. Such a thing isn't necessarily a sure-failure if it is handled well. However, in this case, the power was thrust upon Eragon. If Eragon wins in the end, it won't be his fault. Harry, on the other hand, has to work at it and even then he has doubts.
Now for the best part. His borrowing. Lord of the Rings and Star Wars to a T. As I go, I will point out the similarities. The story starts with Eragon (Luke Skywalker) living in a secluded town called Carvahall (Tatooine). There's a nearby storyteller named Brom (Obi-Wan Kenobi for now) who tells crazy stories about how Galbatorix (Emperor Palpatine), a Dragon Rider (Jedi), overthrew the Dragon Riders that ruled the land and created the Empire (the Empire). Then one day an egg ends up in Eragon's hands (just like when R2-D2 ended up in Luke's hands) and the empire comes to get it and destroys Eragon's farm (Luke's moisture farm), killing his uncle Garrow (uncle Owen) while Eragon was away. He flees with Brom to chase the Razac (Nazgul; ah, now for LOTR). Brom gives Eragon Zarroc, a Rider's sword, which eventually turns out to be his father's sword (like when Obi-Wan gave Luke Vader's lightsaber). They travel for a long time (like LOTR). Meanwhile Brom (now Obi-Wan again) trains Eragon in the ways of Magic (the Force). Then Brom dies at the hand of the empire (just like Obi-Wan, Gandalf for all Frodo knows, Faria, Dumbledore, and countless others). Then Eragon meets up with Murtagh (original idea for now). They travel to the Varden (Rebel Alliance). They fight a big battle, and at the end, Eragon stabs the shade through the heart (Luke fires the proton torpedoe into the thermal exhaust port of the Death Star), instantly winning the battle. Then Eldest starts. Ajihad and Murtagh die (?). Funny a major character like Murtagh would be killed off in the first few chapters without even showing a body. Anyway, we'll skip Roran for now. I personally enjoyed the Roran side-story because it was original. Anyway, Eragon goes to Du Weldenvarden (Dagobah). By the way, the Queen's hall with the saplings for a wall and interlocked branches for a ceiling is taken directly from Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series. There he meets Oromis (Yoda), an old high-ranked Rider that everyone thought was dead (Yoda again). Oromis trains him in the ways of Magic (Yoda; the Force). Then, Eragon becomes an elf (original idea, though I thought Paolini would have done better to stick with Star Wars). Then, at the end, with magic, he sees that the Varden is in trouble (just like Luke), and he leaves his training to go help with Oromis' permission (Obi-Wan and Yoda told Luke not to go, but it's basically the same story). He goes and he fights for the Varden against the Empire and he's nearly invincible. But all of the sudden, another rider (Jedi) appears and is stronger than Eragon. It turns out that it's Murtagh (who knew?), who betrayed Eragon (never would have guessed it, even with the prophecy). "Eragon, I am your brother!" "No! That's impossible!" It turns out that Galbatorix (Palpatine) trained Murtagh (Vader) in the ways of magic. Then, Murtagh takes Zarroc (Vader cuts off Luke's hand and his lightsaber falls into the abyss; either way, the hero loses his weapon and will get a new one specially customized for himself). Then the hero lives because of Murtagh's (Vader's) mercy as Eragon's (Luke's) brother (father).
Are you convinced? I hope so because it's true. Now, back to what I said in the beginning. Paolini has potential. Writing anything at all at such an age is an accomplishment. It's my hope that once he he finishes this trilogy, as a more seasoned writer he will write something much better.


Comments:
I've been wondering if I should take the time to read "Eragon" or not. Thanks for making me decide not to :). Interesting blog, by the way; I came across it accidentally and couldn't stop reading :).
 
Post a Comment
About This Blog
I Am Shmack
Call me Shmackshmael. Shmack for short. This is my blog. As you can probably guess, I am anonymous. No one knows my identity and no one ever will, though you may be familiar with my other blog, Shmack Reviews. If not, that is where I post my book reviews.
All I give are my thoughts and some small details about myself. If you're new here, please read "Welcome!" for more information on this blog.
Feel free to comment to your heart's delight. Your comments will keep this blog alive and inspire new ideas. Also, I will not give my e-mail address, so comment instead. I don't care if your comments have nothing to do with the corresponding post. If you become a daily reader, please comment and tell me just that. One-liners are fine. Thanks!

-Shmack

Copyright 2004 Shmack. All Rights Reserved.