<$BlogRSDURL$>

What Do I Think?
Hello there. What do I think? Read on, reader.

Recent Posts

Best Posts

Links

Powered by Blogger
Visits:
Featured post: The Truth About The Half-Blood Prince

Saturday, December 03, 2005
 
Am I Right?
What makes me right about everything and everyone else wrong? A lot of our opinions were passed down by our parents. Were our parents right? If I had been born to parents that were different in every way, would I be different in every way? Do I have tunnel-vision?
So I have to sit down and think through everything I am and am not sure of, such as the sky is blue vs. gun control is right/wrong. Then I have to think through why I think that gun control is right/wrong. Is it because my parents told me so, or was a friend of mine shot?
It's all in the frame of reference. Republicans say they are maintaining our country's values while Democrats say that Republicans are enforcing their values on others that don't share them (not all fit this description; I'm being general here). Democrats say they are giving us more freedoms while Republicans say that Democrats are either making crime legal or not looking at the consequences. Democrats say that gay marriage should be legalized because it is prejudice not to (makes perfect sense) while Republicans (when they aren't talking religion) say that our children are our country's future and more dilinquents come from gay parents than from traditional families (painful truth), and that polygamy and polyamory may follow suit (there really are organizations working on it). Should we look out for the children or should we let the parents have their freedom? Should we control how parents raise their children or should we let them decide what is right for them? Who's right?
If you actually think about where the opposing side is coming from, you might actually see that they aren't as irrational as you thought. Maybe there isn't one right political party. Maybe a mixture of both is best. We can't be too conservative and we can't be too liberal either. Am I saying that we shouldn't take sides? No. I'm saying that we shouldn't take a side unless we're sure that side is right and the other side is wrong. Then and only then can we take a side. If you aren't sure, don't do it. Either there's one right side or both are right. If both are right, there's no point in proving them wrong. If only half are, then is it right to take sides if you might be wrong?


Comments: Post a Comment
About This Blog
I Am Shmack
Call me Shmackshmael. Shmack for short. This is my blog. As you can probably guess, I am anonymous. No one knows my identity and no one ever will, though you may be familiar with my other blog, Shmack Reviews. If not, that is where I post my book reviews.
All I give are my thoughts and some small details about myself. If you're new here, please read "Welcome!" for more information on this blog.
Feel free to comment to your heart's delight. Your comments will keep this blog alive and inspire new ideas. Also, I will not give my e-mail address, so comment instead. I don't care if your comments have nothing to do with the corresponding post. If you become a daily reader, please comment and tell me just that. One-liners are fine. Thanks!

-Shmack

Copyright 2004 Shmack. All Rights Reserved.