<$BlogRSDURL$>

What Do I Think?
Hello there. What do I think? Read on, reader.

Recent Posts

Best Posts

Links

Powered by Blogger
Visits:
Featured post: The Truth About The Half-Blood Prince

Friday, January 13, 2006
 
What If Aliens Did Invade?
What would we do? If you think about it, the outcome's not as simple as the movies make it seem. Either they are much more advanced technologically and possibly intellectually or they had some kind of unfair advantage that allowed them to make their way into space faster than us.
Hollywood doesn't get paid to think all that hard on how an alien invasion would actually happen. Instead, they get paid to have high action and cool looking martians. The way the humans defeat the aliens is always highly unlikely (or highly impossible). Independence Day, for example, assumed that these advanced aliens used IBM compatible computers using Windows 95 and had an irresponsible IT department who installed no antivirus software. Otherwise, how would Jeff Goldblum have put a virus into their system?
In reality, it would come down to one of the two cases stated above: more advanced technology or unfair advantage that allowed them to enter space prematurely. In the first case, they would probably not only have more advanced space technology, they would also have more extensive weapons technology. Furthermore, they would probably know the risks of such an invasion very well and would have thus overcompensated on resources and firepower to make sure they didn't waste a such a long trip. In other words, in this case, we have no hope.
As for the second scenario where they had an unfair advantage that allowed them to enter space with either lesser technology (biological maybe) or lesser intelligence, we may have a chance because though they may have won the space race, they may not have won the weapons and science races. As for the weapons race, maybe they hadn't developed nuclear technology or even known that such power might even exist. And for the science race, they may not have intended to use science at all. We, on the other hand, could study them and maybe create a biological weapon that would give us the advantage. We may even be able to imitate their space technology and become superior in every way.
When it comes down to it, either they're smarter or they aren't. When they're smarter, they're going to win, when they aren't, we have a chance. Furthermore, we really have no concept of what they may really be. Personally, I liked Arthur C. Clarke's idea in Childhood's End where it wasn't an invasion at all.


Comments: Post a Comment
About This Blog
I Am Shmack
Call me Shmackshmael. Shmack for short. This is my blog. As you can probably guess, I am anonymous. No one knows my identity and no one ever will, though you may be familiar with my other blog, Shmack Reviews. If not, that is where I post my book reviews.
All I give are my thoughts and some small details about myself. If you're new here, please read "Welcome!" for more information on this blog.
Feel free to comment to your heart's delight. Your comments will keep this blog alive and inspire new ideas. Also, I will not give my e-mail address, so comment instead. I don't care if your comments have nothing to do with the corresponding post. If you become a daily reader, please comment and tell me just that. One-liners are fine. Thanks!

-Shmack

Copyright 2004 Shmack. All Rights Reserved.