<$BlogRSDURL$>

What Do I Think?
Hello there. What do I think? Read on, reader.

Recent Posts

Best Posts

Links

Powered by Blogger
Visits:
Featured post: The Truth About The Half-Blood Prince

Saturday, February 04, 2006
 
Reading & Creative Writing
I think everyone should read and either take a class on or teach him/herself creative writing. I'm not assuming that everyone likes the same things I do. In fact, you might not even enjoy reading fiction (but why would you be reading my blog?), but trust me, everyone can appreciate it. I'm not saying it's the principle of the thing or a responsibility, I'm not that full of it. A better way to put it is that everyone can benefit from it.
Many people would like to learn to write, but either never try or stop soon after they start because they think they either can't do it, or aren't good enough to waste time on it. Both myths. I'll tell you why.
Some people think they aren't smart enough. Everyone knows that the left brain is logical and the right is creative. The IQ you get from an IQ test is so inaccurate at estimating the development of these areas. First, IQ tests hardly test the right side of the brain at all, which is the area you need for creative writing. And second, nutrition, daily biological cycles, time of day, sleep deprivation, and temporary clutter from too much concentration can cloud the mind and lower test scores. Also, think about testing anxiety.
The truth brain-wise is that our IQ (logical and creative) grows (a lot) and shrinks (a lot) with use and neglect just like a muscle. And just like muscles, some people have an easier time developing certain areas, but it doesn't mean that they are the only ones who can do it. It just takes a little longer. Reading and writing (along with other arts) are the fastest ways to develop the right brain.
Why? Why even care? The more you read and write, the more your right brain will develop and therefore the more creative in every area you will be. You will be more innovative, inventive, imaginative, and every other quality that the most successful minds have. And though reading and writing may not look fun right now, when you gain an appreciation for them, they will become a regular passtime that you love.
Trust me. You'll be happier.


Comments: Post a Comment
About This Blog
I Am Shmack
Call me Shmackshmael. Shmack for short. This is my blog. As you can probably guess, I am anonymous. No one knows my identity and no one ever will, though you may be familiar with my other blog, Shmack Reviews. If not, that is where I post my book reviews.
All I give are my thoughts and some small details about myself. If you're new here, please read "Welcome!" for more information on this blog.
Feel free to comment to your heart's delight. Your comments will keep this blog alive and inspire new ideas. Also, I will not give my e-mail address, so comment instead. I don't care if your comments have nothing to do with the corresponding post. If you become a daily reader, please comment and tell me just that. One-liners are fine. Thanks!

-Shmack

Copyright 2004 Shmack. All Rights Reserved.