<$BlogRSDURL$>

What Do I Think?
Hello there. What do I think? Read on, reader.

Recent Posts

Best Posts

Links

Powered by Blogger
Visits:
Featured post: The Truth About The Half-Blood Prince

Tuesday, June 20, 2006
 
Cold History
History is a funny thing. It's only a collection of cold facts. It has no sympathy for the pain of the "bad guys", and even its own suffering is explained with numbers instead of emotion.
We don't realize why these events are so important. We study them, memorize when they happened, list who was involved, but we never feel it. We learn about the holocaust and slavery so that we do not callous. But we callous anyway, don't we? How can we understand pain if we haven't felt it? How can we remember the suffering if we didn't suffer ourselves? How can we understand the pained if we aren't one of them?
Self-flagellation isn't the solution, but neither is ignorance. Research or even light reading may be too much. But movies, when not too blown up, can be effective. Though they will inevitably be altered, all that matters is that we feel at least a taste of the pain they suffered. From that, we can give them the memory they deserve because feeling is reality and fact is history.


Comments: Post a Comment
About This Blog
I Am Shmack
Call me Shmackshmael. Shmack for short. This is my blog. As you can probably guess, I am anonymous. No one knows my identity and no one ever will, though you may be familiar with my other blog, Shmack Reviews. If not, that is where I post my book reviews.
All I give are my thoughts and some small details about myself. If you're new here, please read "Welcome!" for more information on this blog.
Feel free to comment to your heart's delight. Your comments will keep this blog alive and inspire new ideas. Also, I will not give my e-mail address, so comment instead. I don't care if your comments have nothing to do with the corresponding post. If you become a daily reader, please comment and tell me just that. One-liners are fine. Thanks!

-Shmack

Copyright 2004 Shmack. All Rights Reserved.